An Announcement

December 14, 2011

in Mommyhood, Pregnancy

This is kind of a big one that will explain a lot about the “extra emotions” I’ve been feeling lately.

Yay!  We’re gonna have another little Z baby to add to the family!  I’m not quite out of the first trimester (I’ll be 10 weeks on Saturday), but I can’t keep it a cyber secret any longer…and I’m feeling good about letting the universe know so here is a big blog welcome to the 4th member of the family. :)

As I mentioned in my last post, I am right in the middle of pure Hell.  Don’t get me wrong, we are THRILLED beyond thrilled to have another baby.  We really wanted this and had been trying for several months so it’s a VERY good thing that we are extremely grateful for.  The Hell I am speaking of is the consistent worship of the porcelain God night after night, after blasted night.  I started puking multiple times a day before I even hit 6 weeks (which was even earlier than it started with PML) and during my last pregnancy, the perpetual carsickness and consistent loss of lunch and dinner lasted until I hit the 20 week mark.  (not to mention the 50 lbs I put on by the end of the pregnancy).

(Thumbs down for puke)

Needless to say, the second time around has been a little more difficult emotionally, just because I know the physical challenge ahead.  As well as “survival mode” turning me into a shadow of myself.  Luckily, I know this time is a season of my life and that it will end eventually, hopefully gifted me with a beautiful bundle of joy. I know that there are those mom’s out there who have had it as bad as me or worse, and I have to say, that actually makes me feel better because I keep reminding myself that I can get through this because other people have.  So, there’s that.

I also look at PML’s baby pics a lot.  It’s gets me really excited for another squishy, smiling, sack of flour baby.

Let’s talk about the fun stuff shall we?

It was so nice to see the little one today just to verify that I haven’t been suffering from 5 weeks of a terrible stomach bug and that there is, in fact, a wee babe in there worth all this sickness.

A couple of observations:

1. This baby was very still and had a good strong heart beat.  We were almost finished with the ultrasound and the baby hadn’t moved yet, and then suddenly he/she wiggled it’s arms and legs and it looked like it waved to us.  I actually waved at the screen, before I could catch myself and logically think, “Duh! The baby is in your body, not on the screen.”  This must be how Landon feel’s when I Skype him (He’s been with his grandma in Denver for a few days, while I lay on the floor and feel sorry for myself) and he wants me to hold him but I tell him that I’m in the computer and that I can’t give him a little hug.

2. When we went to PML’s 9/10 week ultrasound he was literally doing barrel rolls the entire ultrasound.  The doctor was having a hard time getting a picture of him because he was such a mover and shaker.  Kind of typical of his personality now, so I wonder if the ultrasound today is any indication that I am going to get a more calm second child.  I could be down with that.

Let’s talk health for a moment:

Ahem. (cough) So, this is kind of a health blog, right?  Umm, well I’d love to be the picture of pregnant health but actually I am surviving on McDonald’s, Coke, and Toaster Strudel’s at the moment.  I couldn’t keep down veggies if I wanted too.  How anti-evolutionary is that?  Everything I’ve ever read about the first trimester is about how important nutrition is, etc but I literally CANT eat healthy or I will probably puke so much I would be in the hospital.  I think “Natural Selection” is trying to weed my strand of genes out of the Human race.  It’s kind of a conundrum.

Advice please, if you have any?  What worked for you? (I know about ginger and it doesnt work for me anymore)

body shot from 7 wks, haven’t taken one this week yet. Obviously, any bump is pure bloat. lol.

Week 9

• Total weight gained:  2 lbs
  • Workouts:  I ran a 5k on Thanksgiving and haven’t done a THING since.  I’m gonna bust out my prenatal yoga DVD this week to see if it helps my sickies.
  • Cravings:  This is disgusting and embarrassing but McD’s Sausage McMuffin’s with Egg, Cheeseburgers, Coke. (I would NEVER eat that crap normally)…
  • Aversions: Everything.  I can’t even look at food on blogs anymore.  So sad.
  • Emotions: I cry at EVERYTHING. Yesterday it was because of these amazing break dancing kids on Ellen.  Then because of the protesting of Putin in Russia (!?!)   Seriously.  It’s kind of comical because I am not much of a crier in non-preganant land, but it’s like 20 times a day.  I remember being more of a witch when I was preg with Landon, this time I’m really tender.
  • New Habit:  Cellphone Tetris and Scrabble.  It used to be Angry Birds, but I find that actually stresses me out and makes the nausea worse.
  • Doctor Status:  I found a Dr I love but I HATE (yes, strong word) the receptionist.  She is the Devil.  It might be enough for me to leave the doc, but we’ll see.
  • Baby Items Purchased:  Zip.  Already have stuff from #1, gonna wait to see what we are having (no way do I have the patience to wait) and then *maybe* get to stock up on girly baby things.
  • Goal for Next Week:  Pre-Natal yoga.  Maybe try to keep the house clean (not totally committing to that…)

In other news, I cut 7 inches off my hair!

I still feel like I don’t look like myself, but the hair is SO MUCH more healthy.  It needed to happen.

And just in case this post wasn’t long enough for you, I am leaving you with some pics of Landon.  You tell me, is it Rushmore Academy or hipster toddler?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Print This Post Print This Post

{ 33 comments… read them below or add one }

Erica December 14, 2011 at 11:03 pm

Ooooh, I knew it! I knew this would be what your news was. Congrats, I’m so excited for you! I can’t wait to find out what you’re having!!

hilary December 30, 2011 at 9:30 pm

Thanks Erica! I can’t wait to find out either.

Sharon Baum December 15, 2011 at 12:14 am

We have to do something about the ‘ Angry Birds’ so funny. So exciting for you all, looking at Landon in his Big Boy suit Ya it’s time :)

hilary December 30, 2011 at 9:31 pm

I know, I’m excited to have another baby around even if I have to go through all this pregnancy madness.

Gretchen@HealthfulMama December 15, 2011 at 1:19 am

Congratulations! I’m sorry you’re feeling unwell :( I’ve read that B12 can help with morning sickness… maybe your Mickey D’s dependency just means you need more protein and fat? I did not have morning sickness with my pregnancy, which undoubtedly means I’ll get it with my next ;) I hope it passes soon!

hilary December 30, 2011 at 9:33 pm

You don’t get sick?!?! I’m so jealous! I always hear that from mom’s and I wish I could trade you body constitutions. You’ll probably be fine on your next, it seems most of my friends who have it good, have it good, even though I know each pregnancy is different. I started taking B6, but I’ll have to check out the B-12. I think you can get that from nutritional yeast, right? I’ve definitely become a carnivore this pregnancy, I usually live on a mostly vegetarian diet, but the protein has become a staple. Thanks for the recommendation. :)

Kirsten December 15, 2011 at 2:30 am

Congrats! Was wondering if that was your “rough patch.” Hope you feel better soon!

hilary December 30, 2011 at 9:34 pm

Thanks!

Hollywood December 15, 2011 at 3:38 am

I KNEW IT!!! :)
I’m so sorry you have such a rough go during pregnancy. I have no advice for you. Just hang in there. (Anything I would tell you is what Mel would tell you, so just call her…)

Also, I cannot wait until my little Henry is big enough to sport a jacket and tie like that! So freaking adorable!

hilary December 30, 2011 at 9:35 pm

Thanks! You do prenatal massage right? Do you have any recommendations for that at this stage in the pregnancy. I wish we lived closer, I would love to hire you for that.

Nikki December 15, 2011 at 4:15 am

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! CONGRATULATIONS, you wonderful woman, you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Love Nikki, Collin, Freddie & the kitties!

hilary December 30, 2011 at 9:35 pm

Thanks! Your baby is the best.

Nicole December 15, 2011 at 5:17 am

Congratulations on the upcoming babe! Boo for the nausea and all the comes with it. I cannot, for the life of me, figure out how advanced technology, medicine, etc. is and yet no one can find a cure for morning sickness!!! GAH!! A low stress regimen seemed to help me when I was pregnant and sick, not to mention nightly arm, back, feet, face tickles from the hubster. Whatever it was about being lightly tickled helped immensely! Good luck!

hilary December 30, 2011 at 9:36 pm

Hmmm…I’ll have to enlist Rod in a daily massage…good idea :)

Becca December 15, 2011 at 2:04 pm

Oh my gosh, you poor poor thing!! I had horrible nausea in my first trimesters but thankfully it never made me puke. I just felt crappy but it also ended after 14 weeks. Can’t believe yours latest till 20 last time! Crossing my fingers it ends sooner with this one! Also it is comforting to see that someone else can only tolerate such choice foods as toaster strudel and McDonalds in the first trimester ; ) With each pregnancy I have SWORN to eat better but then I literally can not down a single vegetable during that nauseous stage. I totally bought tons of spinach and then I couldn’t even look at it without gagging. It all works out though. It’s a brief period of time and sometimes you just have to go into survival mode to get through it ; ) Oh and p.s. I also get crazy emotional. When I was prego with Cam my sister told me that Celtics fans suck and I burst into tears! haha!

hilary December 30, 2011 at 9:38 pm

That’s totally true about the not even being able to look at spinach without gagging. It’s completely ridiculous. And I have the same problem. But I think you are right about survival mode, Im just accepting it and heading right back to the McD’s drive through. Funny about the Celtics thing, I can totally relate. HOpe you had a good Christmas. :)

kathleen December 15, 2011 at 2:26 pm

Congratulations on the soon to be new addition to your family! I’m so happy for you and your family. Hope the nausea goes away soon so you can enjoy your cravings!

hilary December 30, 2011 at 9:38 pm

Thanks Kathleen!

Alycia December 15, 2011 at 2:41 pm

Congratulations, what wonderful news! It definitely can’t be easy to be feeling that way, but you have a wonderful excuse. Wishing you a easy, healthy and quick pregnancy!

Molly December 15, 2011 at 4:55 pm

So exciting, Hilary!! I’m so so so sorry you’ve been so sick. I was only sick for 4 or 5 weeks, but I know that there is little in this world that provides comfort when you’re feeling that crappy. I will cross my fingers that time flies by until you are not sick anymore.

hilary December 30, 2011 at 9:41 pm

Thanks Molly, tis true. Few thing beat the constant nausea feeling (I think of some for sure) but at least there is a baby at the end of the rainbow. I’ve been following your blog and FB posts, glad you got some well deserved holiday time off. :)

Courtney December 15, 2011 at 7:12 pm

What great news about that tiny babe! Sorry you’re so sick, though. When I was pregnant with the twins all I wanted was a bean burrito from Taco Bell…with hot sauce. Haven’t eaten that since. : ) Eat whatever sounds good now and hopefully it all stays down.

hilary December 30, 2011 at 9:42 pm

Ha! Taco Bell. This makes me laugh. I can totally see me shunning a sausage mcmuffin with egg in the future. Great to hear from you.

Jan December 15, 2011 at 7:54 pm

How exciting for you and your fam (minus the vomit part, of course)! I am so sorry you’ve been sick, plus nutrition school, plus general mommy-and-wife-ness. I hear you on the junk though–when I was preggo with Macie I think the Burger King employees could recognize my voice at the drive-through. Fingers crossed that it calms down soon for you.

hilary December 30, 2011 at 9:44 pm

Ha ha. I totally have a relationship with the drive through girl at the McDs…so funny. Burger King actually sounds kind of good. Maybe I’ll hit that one up next time. ps thanks for inviting me to the park the other day, I texted you back, but then I thought it’s probably a land line. Anyway, afternoons are generally tough for me with the sickness, but I appreciate the thought and invite. xo

Sarah December 15, 2011 at 9:45 pm

I am so sorry to hear you are sick. I know exactly how you feel. I get so sick I end up needing 4 bags of fluid pumped into my arm at a time because I get so dehydrated. And anyone who tells you that anything cures it has never been really sick. I have tried everything under the sun. I mean everything, B12 and unisom, Ginger in a billion forms, Morning sickness suckers which are a joke, Pepperment and most of the medications and it all ends up making me sicker and I feel like someone has tried torturing me. And I have yet to figure out how to convince myself while I am in the grasp of it that it will end even though I have 4 examples of personal experience that it does. So you are not crazy. I know that there is nothing that I can say that will make you feel better, but I really feel compassion for you. I think any woman who goes through that once and chooses to do it again really should get elevated to super hero status or sent away to get our heads checked. :) The reality is that our babies are totally worth it. zophran is the only medication that has any effect at all for me, so you might want to give it a try. I am still dog sick but I don’t get to the point of dehydration as often. You may want to ask your doctor. I know it does not work the same for everyone but it might be worth a shot.

hilary December 30, 2011 at 9:47 pm

This comment means a lot to me Sarah. I’ve actually thought about you a lot during this pregnancy. I’ve heard you are basically near death and I agree, we must be crazy for putting ourselves through it (but I like the super hero comparison) and, I never forgot how hard it was (some people say, you forget once the baby is here). I started zophran and its helping. I still puke, but it takes the edge off, for sure. Thanks for the compassion. I agree, there a club for the severely sick and pregnant and we totally get each other. ;)

Jody December 20, 2011 at 4:42 am

Congrats Hil! I’m with Sarah, Zophran during the day and phenergran (sp?) at night were the only medications that allowed me to get out of bed and feed my kids each day. The Zophran left me with seemingly constant, but mild headaches, but it was worth it. The good news was I was able to go off it all by 19-20 weeks, unlike my mom who puked on her way to deliver the baby. Good luck! I’m looking forward to all the updates.

hilary December 30, 2011 at 9:52 pm

Can you even believe your mom made it through and did it, what, four/five times? I started the zophran and its helped me a bit. I’m sorry to hear you have been so sick with your pregnancies. It’s great to hear from you! Where can I find you on the web? Are you still blogging somewhere? FB? Twitter? Keep in touch :)

Hollywood December 22, 2011 at 4:01 am

Do you have Hyperemesis Gravidarum?

hilary December 30, 2011 at 9:54 pm

I had no idea what this was, so I used the almighty power of google and I’m not sure if I do. The dr hasn’t checked me for it, and I’ve often wondered if I should just go get an IV, but haven’t yet. Do you have any experience with this or know about it other than what I found here?

Krista December 23, 2011 at 9:27 pm

congrats! if it’s a girl, I have bins and bins of girls clothes that were Katie’s. we’re done, and I don’t want to store them anymore. you can have anything you want from the stockpile. I’ve been using G diapers with Sean. Let me know if you are interested in using them. As he grows out of the smaller size inserts and covers, I will be selling them. so excited for you!

hilary December 30, 2011 at 9:56 pm

Thanks Krista, thats really sweet. I’ve never done the cloth diaper thing and I have to say I’m actually a little afraid/intrigued by it. Why don’t you inform me about this when I am past the point of puking, probably around March. lol :)