It’s a…

February 25, 2012

in Mommyhood, Pregnancy

BOY!

Isn’t he cute? He’s a very healthy and strong little buddy and everything looks really great so far, so we feel very grateful. I was SO SURE I was having a little frilly girl, but there is no mistaking it, we have another little member for the family football team coming in July.

Rod is thrilled, he’s already talking about family Hudl analysis and weekend sporting events from now til forever–not to mention all the money we will save on baby clothes and toy tractors.  When my logical brain takes over I am thrilled, too.  We’ll have a little buddy for the Prime Minister to boss around and I have a sweet little boy to snuggle and hug.   But I would be lying if I didn’t say that when my hormonal brain kicks in, I’m a tiny bit disappointed (forget the dance classes and princess toys…have you seen how cute baby girl clothes are?!).  I really don’t want to have another pregnancy, and I am now vastly outnumbered by the men in my life.  Growing up I was the only girl with 4 brothers, my husband is one of 5 brothers and only one sister (thank the Lord for her), and now I will be the only girl living with three boys (husband included) in the house.

But it’s hard to be too sad when I think of getting to have another little boy declaring things like, “I look so cool,” when I put on his bike helmet so he can ride his tricycle around the neighborhood. PML pretending to be Buzz Lightyear and jumping off the arm of the couch onto the cushions yelling, “To infinity and BEYOND!” is also rather endearing when I’m not concerned about the well being of the couch.

I’m sure I have a sweet little guy in there who will be Landon’s best friend.  And I’m excited to meet him in 20 short weeks.  (HALF WAY there!!!!)

They say the baby is the size of a small cantaloupe and weighs as much as a can of soda.

14 weeks

20 weeks

Starting to see a pretty significant difference in that baby bump.

Pregnancy Stats:

• Total weight gained: 10 lbs.  The appetite is back!  Two weeks ago I felt like I had regressed with my nausea and just felt awful and then realized that I was just needing to eat more often.  I feel like a cow that just grazes all day long.  Except I’m eating Butterfinger/Oreo Sonic Blast’s  and McDonald’s ice cream cones in addition to the healthy stuff. :)
  • Workouts: Did a little pre-natal yoga, and had a few minor dance sessions with PML.  I’m thinking I’m going to count chasing around a 2 year old as my pregnancy exercise.
  • Medicine: Still taking one Zophran at night.  Although I think I am really close to getting off of it completely.  I’m feeling so much better.  It’s just that every time I don’t take the one at night I am really sick when I wake up.
  • Cravings: Green juice and ice cream.  Not together.
  • Aversions: Diaper changing.  Ugh–worst curse of an expecting mother with small children.
  • Weird Pregnancy Symptoms:  I feel like my hips are literally braking apart sometimes.  I remember feeling like my stomach was really tight with Landon but I feel like this pregnancy my muscles and skin must be looser because the hips are really taking a beating.
  • Emotions: Over all pretty good, not too much of a cry-baby or a raging lunatic anymore, but I guess you’d have to talk to my husband about that one.
  • New Habit: Couponing!  Seriously.  I’m into it.  Not crazy, CRAZY like that “Extreme Couponing” show where I’m turning a wing of my house into a stockpiling room and loading up on 700 boxes of Kotex and spaghetti sauce, but I did take my Target bill from $130 down to $91 just buying things I always buy but using coupons, so I’m kind of addicted.
  • Urgency: I am really feeling the need to get a family car.  Now that I am getting bigger, my back is KILLING me when I have to lift PML into the back seat and maneuver into a smaller car.  I’m thinking we are going to go for a minivan.  I swore I never would, but I’m telling you, the minivan envy is killing me.  The husband is almost convinced…now that PML likes opening the car door (and slamming it into other cars) those sliding doors never looked better.

I’m so grateful to be feeling well enough to eat healthy again and to cook a little here and there.  I find that my cuisine is a little Groundhog Day-ish.  I find a dish that I like and then just eat the same thing every day.

Breakfast is usually a scramble.  This one is my Kale and Red Pepper Scramble.

I usually eat that with some Beginner’s Green Juice and toast, if I am still hungry.

The key to getting the PML to drink it (ignore the fact that he’s 2 and drinking out of an infant bottle) is that he helps me make it.  After smashing down the celery and apples he is excited to give it a try.

Then 2 hours later I’m snacking on a Strawberry Parfait.  The berries are starting to taste so good and Greek yogurt is really high in protein.  I have one of these everyday.

Then it’s usually a few handfuls of Pirate’s Booty or some other snack.  Dinner varies, but I almost always swing by some fast food place for some ice cream at some point.  So it’s a good mix. I’m feeling good about the nutrients I’m getting and I’m also getting to enjoy a few desserts to up the calorie intake for the baby.  Win, win.

In other family news:

My mom came to visit.  Landon loves her.

Rod took me out for a nice Valentine’s evening at Fugazzi’s.  What a handsome Valentine he is, even when he’s pulling a funny face.  We love the appetizer’s there.

PML came down with a nasty stomach flu which only last about 24 hours (thank heavens).

We watched Toy Story three times that day.

Now that I’m not so sick and there are blossoms on the trees (this happens in February in Central CA), life is going well and my pregnancy is starting to go fast.

Springtime always makes everything better.

What advice do you have for a 2nd time mom? Now that I’m halfway, what should I be doing?  I’m feeling the excitement of adding another member to the family while being simultaneously racked with guilt at the thought of not being able to give as much attention to PML OR give the new little guy the time and attention his big brother has received.  Any suggestions?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Print This Post Print This Post

{ 12 comments… read them below or add one }

Rachel February 25, 2012 at 4:35 am

This is so fun and exciting! And how do you look so chic? I’m excited for PML to have a baby brother. The two of them are going to be so cute as they grow.

PS- your scramble and parfait look amazing!

And yay for Spring!

hilary February 25, 2012 at 7:23 pm

You are so nice. I promise I only “look chic” on the days that I take a photo of the bump, which as you can see, is about once every three weeks. ;) Yay for spring is right. I hope the Northwest is easing up on the rain for you. xo

Andrea February 25, 2012 at 4:54 am

I am so excited for you and your family! In a couple of years your two boys will be best buddies! I know what you mean about the twinge of regret that it isn’t a girl…4 boys later it still hits me sometimes that I will never get to do dance recitals or prom shopping. Oh well. Boys are so low maintenance compared to girls. My only advice is to re-read whatever baby prep book you like best (I personally love On Becoming Babywise) because you forget how on earth you got your first baby to sleep or how he got on a schedule. And one more thing–don’t worry about if you’ll love this babe or not. I remember when I was about to have my second, I was so sure I couldn’t love another baby as much as my first I actually felt bad that I was having another baby that I thought I couldn’t love as much. But once he arrived he just snuggled into my heart and like all the grandma’s in church always say love doesn’t subtract, it only multiplies.
So good luck–you look beautiful as always!
Andrea

hilary February 25, 2012 at 7:51 pm

Good advice. I was actually debating that the other day. I remember reading Babywise and the Baby Whisperer and remembering that it helped. I should review. 4 boys later!? Andrea you are super hero. Great advice all around (I especially love the grandma reference).

Jody February 25, 2012 at 5:46 am

I’m so excited for you! I had two boys first too. I completely understand how you feel. I don’t really have any words of wisdom, I just know everything seems to fall into place and work out. I’m sure it will be the same for your cute little family as well.

I’m so happy to hear your feeling better. I love your detailed updates.

Oh! And SO jealous of your CA spring-time!

@HilaryFleming February 29, 2012 at 4:06 pm

Jody! Great to hear from you! Yeah, now that it’s been a few days, I’m excited about the two boys together…I’m just a little scared that if I actually get pregnant with a little girl someday that I will shrivel and die during the pregnancy. (I’ve heard girl pregnancies are worse and these two pregnancies haven’t been easy)… xo

Gretta February 25, 2012 at 6:21 pm

Yay! You guys have such a good recipe for boys.

Additionally, you are an adorable pregnant woman.

xo

Alycia February 26, 2012 at 3:17 pm

Congratulations on being surrounded by boys! :) I do agree that little girl girls nowadays are adorable though!

Glad you are feeling better and get to enjoy the spring time views. I am in WI, and its still coooolllld here!

hilary February 29, 2012 at 4:08 pm

May the force be with you in WI. I grew up in the mountains of Colorado and Utah and I don’t think I could ever go back to snow…California has ruined me forever!

Molly February 26, 2012 at 4:06 pm

Yay for lots of boys!

Hollywood February 27, 2012 at 3:15 am

I can relate 100% to the conflicted feelings of having a second child. My second is almost 20 months and I still feel he gets the short end of the stick way too often. I am interested in reading a book about “Latter-borns”, where the second child syndrome is analyzed so I can better parent him. Not to mention there is such a difference between parenting girls vs parenting boys.
20 weeks. Well done- half way! Like others have said above, I’d recommend reviewing or finding new resources for doing the birthing and newborn thing all over again. But at the same time, I think the second time around, I set most of those things aside and let myself just let go of the “ideal” way to do something. If you are someone who tends to stress a lot, maybe the best thing to do is find a book that encourages relying on intuition and motherly instincts and then just let yourself be on the fly. Get rid of the clock and follow your heart. Does that make sense? I loved the book “Birthing From Within” and a wonderful postpartum book called “After the Baby’s Birth” by Robin Lim (an EXCELLENT book!)

You’re going to Rock this!

hilary February 29, 2012 at 4:12 pm

Such great advice (as always). I especially loved this “Above all, whether you read books or not, remember that you were born to Mother your children, and you are enough for them. Take the time for Self-care and enjoy these next 20 weeks. It really is a special time. Soak up that precious alone time with PML and be excited to exercise innovative ways to love them both with all that you are. ”
Brought a tear to my eye. Thanks.
I haven’t read any of the books mentioned so I’ll look for them on amazon. I’m already feeling that nesting feeling so I’m busting out the old books and stalking up on baby shampoo and diapers, not to mention extra PML cuddle sessions. Thanks again xo